Most Rural Valuers are generalists with a broad knowledge of the rural property market however there are opportunities to specialise further in areas such as dairy, forestry, viticulture and horticulture. This can depend on the region where they work; for example, there are more dairy specialists in Waikato than in Otago.

A Rural Valuer may do some or all of the following: property appraisal and assessing value of land for mortgage or sale/purchase purposes; check planning regulations to see if changes to properties are allowed; assess the potential rental income of an existing or potential building; examine current property prices; write reports; advise clients and make mortgage recommendation; give evidence in arbitrations and court hearings and much more.

Is it for me?

If you enjoy working with people and are interested in finances and the rural property market and want to be involved in farming but not hands-on, then a job in rural valuation could be for you.

How to get there:

You will need to have NCEA Level 3 Maths and English.

You will need a tertiary degree such as a Bachelor of Commerce and a knowledge of farming and rural businesses. There will also be three years training on the job before you become registered and your earning potential will increase.


You will generally work quite regular hours - around 40 a week.


You will start on $40,000 but once you're registered you could earn up to $150,000.

Events Calendar
Like us on Facebook